Thursday, August 5, 2010

Electronic Books?

Electronic books? I for one was certain that I would prefer to read a printed version of any book. In fact, if I had to read anything beyond a paragraph, I always printed before I read. Yet, here I am at this stage in doing this ICT in reading course, reading large amounts of text on the computer and advising any who would listen to use eBooks. Why has my perspective changed?

As I learnt about eBooks, first in theory, then in practical, I was able to see firsthand how effective it is, and envision its true potential. The theory presented of what an eBook was had very little impact on me. I was unimpressed really. Then I was able to access some on line and I was certainly impressed. Instantly I could see the value and potential this technology held for students in our schools. The final deal breaker came when I was guided to create my own eBook. This was a defining moment for me. It was then that I truly bought into the technology, amazed as I was, I tried to determine what I had been denying myself and my students for so long.

EBooks, provide the same advantages of written books, and much more. Its audio taped version provides students (especially second language learners) with a model of correct pronunciation, fluency, accuracy and prosody. In addition it provides for technology supports and increased interactivity (Rhodes and Milby, 2007). Rhodes and Milby in a November 2007 article in ‘The Reading Teacher’, highlighted further benefits to be derived when students reconstruct stories using the eBooks. Through retellings, students practice sequencing events, identify main ideas within a variety of text structures, make personal connections, and improve their overall text comprehension.

The benefits listed here could never all be realised from any printed version.
That is why I have changed my perspective and am 100% for eBooks in schools throughout Trinidad and Tobago.

Rhodes and Milby also explore the tremendous advantages eBooks provide to students with disabilities. Read their article: ‘Teacher-Created Electronic Books: Integrating Technology to Support Readers With Disabilities.’ In the November 2007 issue of ‘The Reading Teacher’

No comments:

Post a Comment