Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reflections on ICT in Reading 2010.

At the start of this course, I had my reservations, reservations that soon materialized into real fear as I was bombarded with a deluge of information and multiple tools to be used in a totally new setting, and employing an unfamiliar technology, the internet. As I trudged through the day in, day out of very slowly learning the “how-tos” of this course, I slowly began to absorb some of what was being imparted to me. Eventually, we started using the labs some more and voilla, understanding began to dawn on me.


It was wonderful to move from feeling like a total idiot, to that feeling of self efficacy. Nothing could be sweeter. Soon I felt myself empowered with the new knowledge I was gaining each day, and motivated to continue to learn and use the new technology presented to me at each session. I moved further along blooms taxonomy in my levels of learning as I synthesized the information I was receiving, moving into new and creative ways to use these new tools and technology in the classroom and school. At present I find myself almost obsessed with the constant analysis of where and when to use the technology I am learning to improve student’s performance in all areas, particularly reading.

My overall reflections based on the course, EDRL 6004, is that it was invaluable. By no means an easy course, it is in fact one of the most challenging for me personally, (coming from a background with no formal computer training whatsoever). Rarely however, is there a course that provokes one to constantly reflect, and continuously look for avenues to apply what is learnt in all spheres of life. Finally, ICT in Reading has the added advantage of being ideally suited to teaching our children who have an unusual affinity to all of the emerging web technology we explored in these sessions.
Final Thoughts: I would never have thought that I would be blogging and using other web 2.0 tools with such efficiency. Two months ago I did not even know what these things were, and now a whole new world has opened up for me. Thank you Aisha, Murella, and especially Cherisse for opening a window to this new world.

2 comments:

  1. Chandai,yes,it is indeed a thrill to feel competent in using Web 2.0 technology.It gives one the feeling that there is hope in light of the sometimes overwhelming challenge of getting our students to be motivated to want to learn.

    I have often referred to myself as a "techno-dunce" because of having to call my teenagers to rescue me for the slightest snag while I am on the computer.Now I can show-off about the new technologies that I have learnt that can help them.I was forced to learn the use of these concepts on my own and this trial and error helped me to be more confident.Our tutors were great, I appreciate the standards they set to ensure that we became competent.I know it was a challenge to all. Cherisse especially has modelled the techniques we will have to employ as reading specialists assisting teachers in various content areas.She knew nothing about the content of the reading courses but she was able to get the relevant information and design her strategies to suit us in the "slow" class.Congratulations and thank you Cherisse, think about the number of children who would benefit form your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, andymaraj a.k.a. Usha,

    Thank you for the comment. We do certainly share many of the same principles. I am very surprised to hear that you called yourself 'techno-dunce', because in my house they call me, and I call myself technologically challenged. Personally I always looked to you as one quite competent and able to hold her own. Well we've both learnt along the way, and hopefully a blog like this can be shared between us as we enter the realm of Reading Specialists. The more we use the blogs, the more the ideas come to use them even more.

    Happy Blogging.

    ReplyDelete