Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Why Reading?

Any teacher worth their salt will tell you that reading is the key to academic success for any student at any level of education. Early recognition of this phenomenon led me in my pedagogical practice to place the greatest emphasis on the teaching of reading in my classroom. This emphasis on reading has developed the philosophical underpinnings that guide my planning and practice in the classroom. It has also been the source of success observed in my charges, and realized in their accomplishments.

It is with this in mind that I eagerly chose to study to become a reading specialist. As a reading specialist, I will realize my goal of meeting the needs of many more than one class (through the guidance provided to teachers); and I will be better equipped to help those individual students in need of that extra professional attention. Together this entire group of reading specialists can bring about a situation where our students can not only just read, but love to read, where they can move from a love of reading to become serious ‘readaholics’.

What has been your experience in the classroom and how has it impacted on students? How confident are you that reading specialists can make a difference?

1 comment:

  1. This post was written early on in the blogging adventure, but was lost and my limitations with ICT prevented me from importing it.

    I found it and moved it from a word document. It was not so hard.

    Looking forward to the next blog. See ya!

    ReplyDelete