Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wikis frighten teachers

"Wikis frighten many teachers", writes Hamilton (2009), in The Reading Teacher. He contends however that wikis rate as the easiest web 2.0 tool to use. Wikis do involve some level of technology use, and this contributes to the fear teachers may feel. In order to use the wiki or other web 2.0 tool, teachers must first teach the technology. Many teachers I know are willing to embrace the technology, but question the pay offs as it relates to time invested to do so.

Fox (1990) supports Hamilton's views of wikis as leading to improvement in reading and writing. Wikis provide a real audience and a real purpose for both reading and writing. Multiple authors support the belief that students read and write more fluently when using wikis and other web 2.0 tools.

Studnets' reading involvement was found to increase according to Reiking and Watkins (2000), when involved in creating book talks on the wiki. In fact low achieving readers, through book talks on the wiki, showed higher reading engagement and achievement by the end of the year of using wikis.

These findings remind us that "The learning is in the process more than in the product," (Hamilton, 2009, p 247.).

To learn more aboout wikis, take the wiki walk-through at Teachers First at

www.teachersfirst.com/content/wiki/

Change the fear to fun. Use the wiki.

3 comments:

  1. This discussion on wikis has been very informative. Just yesterday I was discussing their use in my lesson planning. Yes, there is definitely some apprehension on my part especially when it comes to teaching the students to use the technology and then following them as they use it.

    I believe the reason for my apprehension has mostly to do with the under availability of the computers with internet at my school which has resulted in many students still fumbling around with basic icons for simple word processing activities. I agree however with Hamilton (2009), that the use of wikis in classroom writing activities will lead to improvements in students' literacy. In order to ensure that instruction on their use is successful, I will follow the suggestions of Tompkins (2010) who highly recommends tiered grouping for literacy instruction for groups with varied abilities. In many cases teachers will find that our classrooms contain mixed ability individuals who can be grouped in order to accomplish different levels of teaching and learning. Your site link http://www.teachersfirst.com/content/wiki has been enormously useful in terms of ideas and suggestions for the use of wikis in the classroom. I will be using some tips from these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chandai,
    I did not know that there was sound evidence to back up the way I feel about technology. Thank you for finally providing proof in the form of Hamilton (2009). It aptly describes how many teachers feel about not just about wikis but technology on the whole.However, doing this ICT course has greatly allayed some of my fears concerning the use of the technology.

    I realise from experience that learning about the technology in the classroom and the lab touches only the surface. Real learning comes from doing tasks that requires using the tool repeatedly.

    I too firmly believe that wikis can be used to improve reading and writing skills in the classroom but students must first be taught how to use the technology.

    Thank you for the link to the website on wikis, it will prove to be very helpful to my lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Alicia and Renuka,

    Thank you for your comments. You know, I have found also that just as wikis frighten teachers, blogs, podcasts, google docs, digital photostory, eBooks, the internet, computers, calculators,...

    My! Just about anything technological frightens teachers. I know they frighten me. I sure hope Cherisse doesn't read this comment, especially since I know that the two of you will agree with me.

    But hey! When we reflect on how scared we were say two months ago, and how much less scared we are now (we still frighten yuh know!)I feel just a little bit brave. Somewhere deep in the recesses of our techy minds lie a brave and knowledgeable part of us that will help us as we trudge through the mire that is our final assessment.

    Heres to you guys, (me taking a drink for you - cheers!). I hope the techy part of our brain reigns for the next week. GOOD LUCK

    All the best and good luck.

    ReplyDelete